The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is the leading voice for special and gifted education. Through the vision and dedication of its nearly 35,000 members, CEC sets the standard for high quality education for children and youth with exceptionalities. The Council ensures the needs of children and youth with exceptionalities are met in educational legislation, establishes professional standards for the field, and develops initiatives to improve special education practice. And, CEC is known as the source for information, resources, and professional development for special educators.
For 50 years, The Association for the Gifted (TAG), as a Division of CEC, has been the leading voice for special and gifted education. CEC-TAG establishes professional standards for teacher preparation for the field, develops initiatives to improve gifted education practice, and ensures that the needs of children and youth with exceptionalities are met in educational legislation.
By becoming a member of, or renewing your membership to CEC-TAG, you become a member of a team of professionals devoted to (a) improving educational opportunities for individuals from all diverse groups with gifts, talents, and/or high potential; (b) sponsoring and fostering activities to develop the field of gifted education; (c) supporting and encouraging specialized professional preparation for educators; and (d) working with organizations, agencies, families, or individuals who are interested in promoting the welfare and education of children and youth.
TAG Member benefits:
- Four issues of the Journal for the Education of the Gifted (JEG) per year (includes online access to current and past issues)
- Two online issues of Excellence and Diversity in Gifted Education (EDGE) per year
- Quarterly newsletter (i.e., TAG Update)
- Quarterly legislative updates
- A discounted member rate for all meetings of TAG
- 20% discount on Prufrock Press products through February 2017
- Advanced notice of new products developed by CEC-TAG members
- Peer-to-peer support
- A network of colleagues who are leaders in the field of gifted education
- TAG Talks on topics of importance and interest to CEC-TAG members
- Members-only page with TAG Talks, past and current issues of TAG Update, and more
CEC offers a variety of membership categories. Please be sure to select The Association for the Gifted (TAG) for one of your Special Interest Division(s). Cost is an additional $25 per year for all membership categories except for student, which is $10.
Our most comprehensive level provides a full complement of outstanding benefits that anyone involved in special education will find indispensable:
- Articles and research to broaden your knowledge. The award-winning publication, TEACHING Exceptional Children, and our journal, Exceptional Children, delivered in both print and online versions.
- News and information to keep you current. Timely newsletters and communications including CEC Today, Policy Insider, and CEC Leadership Briefing.
- Open discourse to stimulate your thinking. CECommunity Access, offering unrestricted contact with any and all CEC communities.
- Discounts to save you money. Significant savings on continuing education programs, discounts on books and resources, and preferred member pricing on insurance programs.
- Connections to expand your relationships. Participation in a choice of CEC Special Interest Divisions and state/provincial unit membership.
- Paths to advance your career. Access to the CEC Career Center.
Best of all, Premier Membership includes a number of benefits never before offered: our new monthly Topical Briefs newsletter, access to two recorded CEC webinars, one e-book from CEC’s bookstore, and membership in one Special Interest Division (additional charge applies for division dues over $35).
The premier membership carries a value of over $455, but your investment is only $205! That’s a savings of over $255!
Are you a student looking to join CEC? You receive a special student discount of 20% off any individual membership!
Please click here to join as a new member or renew your premier membership.
Offering fewer benefits than the Premier level, Full Membership is still an extensive collection of unmatched materials and services that will appeal to many special educators.
- Online versions of TEACHING Exceptional Children and Exceptional Children with articles and research to broaden your knowledge
- CEC Today, Policy Insider, and monthly Topical Briefs newsletters with information to keep you current
- Unlimited CECommunity access allowing you open discourse with other CECommunity members
- Special Interest Division membership (optional) and state/provincial unit membership helping you create connections to expand your relationships
- Member savings on continuing education programs, publications and resources, and preferred member pricing on insurance programs.
- Access to one recorded webinar and the CEC Career Center.
Investment in CEC’s Full Membership is only $115! What are you waiting for?
Please click here to join as a new member or renew your full membership.
For those who seek the best resources available but whose needs, interests, or budgets are limited, Basic Membership is a reasonable and cost-effective alternative.
- Actionable and useful articles to teach and administer programs for children with disabilities and/or gifts and talents in Teaching Exceptional Children (TEC) online 6 times per year.
- Up-to-date information through CEC Today and Policy Insider e-newsletters
- Connections to expand your relationships through Special Interest Division membership (optional), state/provincial unit membership and CECommunity access
- Member savings on continuing education programs, CEC publications & resources, and insurance programs available through Forrest T. Jones, Inc.
- Access to the CEC Career Center and the ability to serve in CEC leadership
A Basic Membership brings you all the most popular CEC membership benefits at our lowest price. Your investment for Basic Membership is only $65! Expand your practice today!
Please click here to join as a new member or renew your basic membership.
Students receive 20% off any individual membership rate. Students must be enrolled full or part-time in a matriculating program by an accredited college or university. Students are eligible for the discount for a maximum of 6 cumulative years. For verification the following information is required at the time you join or renew – University Name, Expected Graduation Date and Degree Program.
Please be sure to select The Association for the Gifted (TAG) for one of your Special Interest Division(s). Cost is an additional $10.
Please click here to join as a new member or renew your student membership.
Not sure which one is best for you? Click here to compare membership benefits.